Video: Tutorial 1 Tutorial 2
Our Esteemed Customers Say It Best:
Most used app in the toolbox by Sattech27 ★★★★★
I have plenty of music apps...synths, DAWs, sequencers, beat boxes, effects, drum machines...you name it, but Different Drummer has been the most used of all of them.
Awesome app by Njgkcicjfjdkd ★★★★★
Amazingly creative app with realtime updating. I ask the developer to update a feature and they responded by a adding to their next update. One of the best iOS apps for drumming easily.
Powerful and deep by TBPHX ★★★★★
This app just keeps getting better and better. The more you dive into it the more it will reward you with its wave metaphor of rhythm.
No Other Drum Machine Like It by Modravoda ★★★★★
A very interesting and flexible approach to rhythm. It takes some effort to learn how to use it, but it's effort well spent.
Generative Beast! by Grey Fortress ★★★★★
Love this app!!! Put in the time to learn and understand how it works and you will be rewarded. This is for those who wish to create something new and original. If you want to create tired old 4 on the floor 808-style beats, geezus there are hundreds of other apps that will do the trick.
Superba by Capitan Totti (IT) ★★★★★
The most intriguing and deep app in the store. A Must for all musicians. (translated)
Really like it by Browncoversurazz (US) ★★★★★
Took a chance since I saw everyone on the forums complaining about the price ,,, the price didn't bother me compare to $300 hardware ,,, it's a really interesting way to make beats I can honestly say I really like it a lot one thing maybe would be cool if u could add pads but none the less it's really cool
OMG WOW! by Buck Snot (US) ★★★★★
I'm a crap drummer and have been looking for something like this where I can experiment and listen to different drum patterns and tweak them I think I'll be using this App about everyday now and can't wait for more Updates! Thx ;]
Amazing synthesis and sound, now it works great with Audiobus by Twirling Erling (CA) ★★★★★
Audiobus now works in iOS 6 and A great sounding app with incredible potential...looking forward to the update. Well done, nothing like it out there...
Very impressive by Trueyorky (UK) ★★★★★
This really is very good and nothing like ANY other app to date. Very unique, intuitive to use (I haven't even looked for a manual) and sounds fantastic. Feature packed too - you can paste in your own samples and it supports AudioBus. Superb :-) Update: the latest update is fantastic bringing landscape view and grid mode. Ooh I love this app. Brilliant. Nice makeover in latest updates as the dev's hard work continues.
Worth the Money 2 by JustTech01 (AU) ★★★★★
Played with this for a couple of days now and love it. Much More than a drum machine or sequencer. A very adaptable synthesiser really. You can morph any of the percussion samples into any sound you think up. The examples on the developers website don't give the whole picture. Worth $150? Maybe, maybe not...but $50 Yes indeed...
Truly Different by Dpg499 (US) ★★★★★
This app is great and truly unlike any drum program I've ever used. It can be a little tough to control because there's not one of those "kick on the 1, snare on the 2" sequencers that every other drum machine seems to have. But if you're looking for a drum that will surprise you and give you patterns that you might not have thought of, this is your baby. Worth every penny. I'll add that the customer service is great. I've had a few issues that were resolved very quickly. All told, one of the best apps I've ever bought.
Worth it for me by shakurav1 (US) ★★★★★
"I like playing synths and was looking for "the ultimate drum app" to go with synth lines but now I simply play your application with two or three modified drum beats and passes it through Turnado (Sugar Bytes), I rediscover fun and do not even think about synth because it all seems possible with Different Drummer. Thank you!"
"Hi. I just bought your app and I wanted to tell you that I love that thing. A new world for creativity. A new kind of app. Pro, that´s the word. Thanks a lot for your job, and happy new year."
"I just bought your iPad app, Different Drummer the other day (in spite of the price tag...you have some point in mentioning that VSTs usually are in a similar price range) and I must say I absolutely don't regret it!"
"I just wanted to add that this is the most inspiring drum creation app by far. I don't think I'll be able to go back to a normal drum machine after this. It is just so easy to come up with really interesting parts with rhythms that I haven't been able to achieve before, which makes me even more excited by the prospect of the Cyclophone app. If you put recording and audio copy into this it will certainly dominate the iOS drum market, but it will do that as it is, it's unique and basically just creates better results than anything else.
So thank you for giving me this experience :-)"
Nick TrassPro Bass Player, Australia
Different Drummer is innovative music software that uses the innate rhythmic power of waves to control all aspects of music using our patent pending Cyclophone Technology. Since waves are the primal source of all cyclical motion in the Universe, it makes sense to tap into them for musical purposes other than synthesizers. Not only can waves create sounds, they can play sounds and compose music too. We feel we have discovered the "Fountain of Drumming" and we are sharing our discovery with the world! But make no mistake, Different Drummer does much more than play drums so it's more like a "Fountain of Music!"
While this app is definitely fun to play with, real production is what it's forsaving wave patterns and combining them into sequences and recording tracks, or as a live performance tool. It can also be used to inspire new ideas for drum patterns or rhythmic ideas for songs because, as you will find out, the variety of rhythms and melodies is truly endless. If you are serious about your rhythm tracks, Different Drummer is a must-have tool! Pros can use the direct MIDI out and MIDI sync features to use this to play complex musical wave patterns out to other synthesizers and drum machines on your iPad or studio.
Different Drummer is Not a Synthesizer. People often mistake Different Drummer for a Drum Synthesizer because of the Wave Controls. Different Drummer has little to do with how drums sound and everything to do with how they are played. As the name implies, Different Drummer is like having a drummer that plays drums in a fresh new way. The drum samples provided come to life under the control of Different Drummer's unique algorithms. Interestingly, it ends up being a new "macro synthesizer" because it can play samples in such a new way that the effect is a new sound. You can also import your own drum and non-drum samples for incredible results. This doesn't mean we won't build a drum synthesizer into future versions!
The main saved module of Different Drummer is the Wave Set which is a collection of up to 8 Drum Waves, each of those composed of six Control Waves:
- Note Wave: Allows you not just to have plain drums, but also drums that change pitch inside an assigned scale. You won't believe the difference "tonal" drumming makes to your productions. With Different Drummer you set the key and scale of your drums and can change it on the fly for enhanced impact. After using Different Drummer you'll discover that many drums are out of tune with the songs they are used in creating subtle harmonic dissonance. Different Drummer sampes have been tuned to a key pitch and can be transposed together or separately with ease and locking into one of over 70 musical scales.
- Rest Wave: Lets you create gaps in the drum pattern based on the interaction between a wave pattern and a line. The rest wave has a huge impact on the perceived rhythm since it determines where notes can play or not play.
- Tie Wave: Lets you create rhythmic variations that tie drum notes together or break them apart based on waves. Tie waves have an intense effect on rhythms and are reliant on the wave's assigned beat-value that determines how fast or slow untied notes play.
- Dynamic Wave: Lets you control the loudness or velocity of drum strikes creating a very human feel. Slower dynamic waves create crescendos while faster waves can create complex accents.
- Panning Wave: Lets you control the left-right position of drums dynamically.
- Beat Wave: Lets you change the fundamental beat value over time according to a wave pattern
Each of these component waves is composed of a Fundamental wave and 6 partials of that fundamental, making for an astronomical set of variables that allow you to dial in any rhythm imaginable and many more that are unimaginablethe whole point of Different Drummer. Nothing can replace a good live drummer, but Different Drummer will definitely inspire drummers to try new things and may even intimidate a few of them because it's hard to compete with the pefection of waves and mathematics.
1900's = Patterns and Loops
2000's = Patterns and Loops
Future = Drum Waves
Different Drummer functionality is conveniently packed in to an easy-to-use interface broken into three main sections:
- The Scrolling Visualizer at top shows drum notes as they are played so you can get an idea of which voices are doing what in real-time. Vertical lines depict measures. Above this area are a few controls for: Master Tempo, to Capture the current Wave settings if you like them and the all-important Play-Pause button. Use the Range Control to limit final output of each voice to a specified range. Bring up the Piano Transposer to change drum or musical keys on-the-fly.
- The Touch-enabled Wave Display is an important section where the currently active editing effects are shown. Pinch the wave to change frequency or slide it to change position or phase. Zoom in or out on a wave using the + and buttons to see how it looks over 1 measure or up to 16 measures. Above the Wave Display is the Wave Selector which allows you to select, solo and mute waves. The White selector is used for any actions or adjustments you want to perform on all the waves at once. Toggle into Grid Mode to capture the wave in a traditional fixed grid loop up to 16 measures long. When in Grid Mode, you can override the wave and add, delete and move notes as desired. You can combine grid and non-grid voices.
- The Control Area at the bottom of the screen is where most of the action takes place. This is where you construct and explore wave patterns and save them as well as make sequences or set up automation. You can also export wave sets as MIDI files to be used in other applications via iTunes, email or Dropbox.
On the right side of the Controls is the Control Switcher that is used to move between different control panels.
Wave Controls let you tap and dial in an endless variety of note, rest, tie, panning, beat and dynamic settings that work together to create distinctive drum/music patterns never before possible. Our dedicated Frequency and Amplitude Controllers give higher precision with fine control and accelerate for courser control. We provide convenient randomizers to help you explore the vast array of possibilities which you can then tune to your liking and save or record.
Things you can do here include:
- Wave Controls: To Adjust all wave parameters
- Automation Controls: To create automated morphing sequences based on randomization
- Sounds and Scales: To change instruments and musical scales
- Grid Settings: To control how a voice behaves in Grid Mode
- Mixer: To add effects and alter the volume of the drum tracks
- Wave Manager: To save, rename, delete and export wave sets
- Sequences: To string together wave sets to create compositions for live playback or recording
- Setup: To control MIDI and Audio outputs
- 8 Instrument Tracks with 6-wave Cyclophone Controls or traditional Grid Editing, populated by wave settings plus one play-along track
- Up to 2 harmony voices for each track for a total of 24 potential notes at once (if your device can handle it)
- Each track has independent looping up to 16 measures in Grid Mode or endless in Wave Mode
- Progression Composer allows automated key and scale changes after specified beats, doubles as arpeggiator
- Jammer lets you improvise with pads or a dynamic color keyboard on top of DD's other voices
- Operations provide useful functions for manipulating all or targeted tracks such as Cannon, Rangify, Flatten and more
- Combine Drums, Musical Instruments and Effects to create complex full-spectrum music easily
- Access hundreds of free presets in Preset Sharing Community organized by Category, including many great samples
- Built-in Documentation plus PDF
- 16-bit Stereo Recording
- AudioBus 2 with State Saving and IAA compatible
- iOS 7+ optimized
- Piano keyboard transposer
- Note range controller
- Background Mode allows you to play on top of other apps
- Export audio via: AudioCopy, Dropbox or iTunes
- Import Custom CAF and WAV Samples via iTunes, Dropbox or AudioPaste
- Control drum pitches, rests, ties, panning, beat value and dynamics with waves
- Instant Capture in case you hear a killer beat you want saved
- Save Wave Sets to Wave Library—organize in folders or save as templates
- Share and Like Presets using the built-in Community
- String Wave Sets together in saved Sequences
- Export Wave Sets and Sequences as MIDI Files
- Over 190 stereo drum sounds provided
- Over 70 musical scales to assign drums to in any key
- Reverb, Filter, Distortion effects and mixer
- Set the Key, Time Signature and Tempo (includes Tap)
- Automation for randomizing and morphing playback with "Return to Theme" feature
- MIDI Sync Out and In
- Up to 8 Channels of customized MIDI Out
- Core MIDI lets you play other synthesizers and drum machines on your iPad such as Animoog and NLog Pro or to any devices hooked up to your iPad
- Supports Retronyms AudioCopy and AudioPaste as well as General Pasteboard for ultimate inter-app sharing
- Quickly create credible, copyright-free drum parts and share them between projects, 1 track or 8 tracks at a time
- Create next-level drum parts perfectly tuned to your songs and hear the difference.
- Movie, TV and theatrical soundtracks
- Idea generator/scratchpad obliterates writer's block
- Create rich backing tracks for layered electronic music
- Live performance and improv
- DJ mixing
- Dubstep, EDM and Hip Hop
- As a MIDI controller for either drums or music
- Stay ahead of deadline production schedules
- Commercials and promo materials
- Experimental music
- A new kind of arpeggiator
- Algorithmic Raves
- Entertainment/relaxation, set it on automate and sit back
All aspects of Different Drummer are © Copyright 2015 Techné Media. All rights reserved. Patents pending.